Check out my books on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/icecreamwhirlwind

Friday 7 March 2014

A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce

1743390This book has been lying on my bookshelf for about 5 years, WHY DID I NOT READ IT EARLIER ??? I mean, look at it!, shouldn't the cover be enough to draw a reader? (I believe in judging a book by it's cover)
The story is basically a retelling of "Rumpelstiltskin". The setting is in the 18th century, in the fictional village of Shearing, just on the verge of the Industrial Revolution.
After the death of her father, Charlotte Miller along with her little sister, Rosie, takes to run the family mill, Stirwaters, but a series of debts and other problems force them to contact Jack Spinner, a mysterious man who can spin gold, with just a little price, but  soon Charlotte is stuck in a bargain she cannot fullfill.
This was a really great read, and the first time I've read a retelling.
I LOVED Charlotte, she is so damn headstrong, independent, and determined in such a time period, it's inspiring. The whole village setup was so realistic, It doesn't feel like "there are just five people in this place" which is the case with most of the fictional places. The book started out slow, but the suspense slowly builds up and the little bits of background stories all join together to form a perfect ending.
This is the perfect blend of reality and fantasy. If re tellings and historical fantasy is your thing, read this book right now!!
I give this book
4 STARS

My Goodreads 
      Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment