Check out my books on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/icecreamwhirlwind

Thursday 20 February 2014

The Selection by Keira Cass

10507293I might as well be the last person in booktopia to read this book. I don't regret it.(reading it so late).
Every part of The Selection SCREAMS "hunger games ripoff" a definitely girlier ripoff.
For thirty five girls, the selection is the chance of a lifetime. The oportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth.
To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't wan't.Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself and realizes that the life she's always dream t of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
I don't hate this book, I really don't, but it's similarity to the Hunger Games was just too much. Also, the romance was a bigger focus in this book while it could have been shifted to much more interesting topics like the caste system or the rebellion. Despite all this, I will read the second book in the series.

Pros: Maxon is such a great match for America and he's so good and yet America is confused between Him and Aspen. I don't see why. I ship these two for sure. The love triangle is introduced in the first book instead of being dropped like a bomb in the second book of the series, which is the case with the majority of YA novels. The relationship between America and the other girls was so realistic and well depicted, which reminds me that I hate Celeste with burning passion.
To sum it up, I liked The Selection, but for me, it didn't live up to the hype. I give it

3.5 STARS

      Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment