Check out my books on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/icecreamwhirlwind

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Finally read it. Again this was supposed to be read during "booktubeathon"


Vera’s spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she’s kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.
6665671
So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone—the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? Does she even want to?Edgy and gripping, Please Ignore Vera Dietz is an unforgettable novel: smart, funny, dramatic, and always surprising.

“I miss him so much, but it's confusing, because I missed him long before he was dead, and that's the bitch of it all. I missed him long before he was dead.” 

I've already said it but average ratings on goodreads can be seriously misleading. Like, "Under The Never Sky" gets 4.04 while THIS gets 3.94. Really? REALLY?

Please Ignore Vera Dietz made me feel so sad without ever making me cry (okay, maybe I did tear up). There's so much more going on in the book than what that summary tells. The relationship between Vera and her father was one of the highlights of the book for me. A.S King writes beautifully, one minute I'm cracking up, the next I'm thinking that I shouldn't be laughing in such a situation. Vera's POV is amazing, but what's even more amazing is the notes between the parts of the story. There are notes from Charlie, Vera's dad, the Pagoda (YES.) 
Every character was so real and I wanted Vera to end up well so badly and every time she was drinking, I felt like slapping her to her senses and when she did the right thing I was just so happy. A.S. King made me root for the main character, and that's what I loved.
This kind of reminded me of "Hate List" which is one of my favorites.
My favorite character was probably Vera's dad. (or maybe the Pagoda) 
Despite how much I wanted to, I couldn't, just couldn't hate Charlie. I pitied him. I hated the way things had to turn out.
**POTENTIAL SPOILER**
“I wish we could go back in time and climb trees together again. I love you, Vera. I always will.” 

5 STARS

      Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment