Check out my books on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/icecreamwhirlwind

Wednesday 18 June 2014

If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Me 4 pages into "If I Stay".....
Troy, My Emotions
4374400
Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.
I open my eyes wide now.
I sit up as much as I can.
And I listen.
Stay, he says.
Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?
Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.
If I Stay is a heart achingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.

I had been avoiding this book for years, GOD KNOWS WHY, Then I saw the movie trailer which was totally awesome and I had to read it.
I actually cried when I came around to page 4, you know a book's good when THAT happens.
This book doesn't really have a plot, we just get a lot of memories from Mia's life and how she decides between giving up or living on. What I didn't know when I read this book was that everything in it happens in one day and Mia is having an out-of-body experience throughout the book.
For a 200 page book, this was a really heavy read and I still can't Imagine how Gayle Forman stretched one day into a novel and at the same time how could so much story and depth be fitted into 200 pages.
I was just a tad bit unhappy with how the book ended, and then I found out that as unexpected as it is, "If I Stay" is a part of a duology, the second book being "Where She Went"


8492825
The first thing I thought about this book was that WHY THE HELL did they change the cover format. This looks AWFUL.
But, don't judge the book by it's cover (though I definitely do), because "Where She Went" was AMAZING.
If music played a huge role in "If I Stay" then it played a majorly huge role in this. Because now Adam has turned most of  his pent up anger and sadness after Mia left into a Super-hit album and he's hella famous in this book, something the summary kindly forgot to mention...

It's been three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life.
And three years he's spent wondering why.
When their paths cross again in New York City, Adam and Mia are brought back together for one life-changing night.
Adam finally has the opportunity to ask Mia the questions that have been haunting him. But will a few hours in this magical city be enough to lay their past to rest, for good - or can you really have a second chance at first love?

This book again took place in one day (seems like Gayle Forman's preferred style), was heart-wrenching (a little less), and overall great, Though I couldn't help but feel like slapping Mia across the face for what she did, she had her reasons but just LOOK AT ADAM! he was completely destroyed and emo-ish.
Anyways, loved this book, loved both of them and I would give them......

4.7 STARS

and a huge recommendation.

My Goodreads
      Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment