Check out my books on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/icecreamwhirlwind

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles II)

To shorten this up for you, Scarlet is a totally awesome sequel for a totally awesome first book.
I finished Cinder, picked up Scarlet and literally INHALED IT.

Cinder is trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner
“She did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.”
Scarlet is a retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood" but it also continues Cinder's story with her chapters in between. (thank god.)So we get introduced to three new protagonists: Scarlet Benoit, Wolf and Captain Carswell Thorne. The first two I liked, the last one I LOVED. As soon as Thorne came into the picture, I was like "not a love triangle, please god, I've had enough of that" IT WASN'T!!
I liked Cinder better but Scarlet was a really good sequel. Also, my love for Kai has only grown..
“Did you know that she was cyborg?” asked a woman in an unhidden tone of disgust.
Kai stared at her, appearing confused, then let his gaze dance over the crowd. He shuffled his feet
closer to the podium, a wrinkle forming on the bridge of his nose.
Cinder bit the inside of her cheek and braced herself for adamant disgust. Who would ever invite a
cyborg to the ball?
But instead, Kai said simply, “I don’t see that her being cyborg is relevant. Next question?”
Cinder’s metal fingers jolted.” 
I liked Scarlet and Wolf but didn't really connect with them, or maybe I just liked Kai and Cinder soooo much I couldn't stay away from them for even a few chapters. But seriously, the idea of a new retelling in every book is GENIUS. I would give Scarlet

4.5 STARS

Now excuse me while I go off and start reading book 3.  

No comments:

Post a Comment